Malden News

Malden’s Suffolk Square is a forgotten Jewish enclave

securedownload[4]

Grandparents Felix and Christina Lubin

Have you ever heard the term banker’s hours? This usually refers to being open for the shortest, most inconvenient hours. But back before Suffolk Square in Malden, Massachusetts was leveled for urban renewal, banker’s hours had a whole different meaning.

Suffolk Square was a Jewish enclave in Malden, the heart of which was in the vicinity of Cross and Bryant streets and the old Lincoln Junior High School. When Elaine Lubin’s grandparents wanted to buy land in Malden, the large, established banks in Malden Square weren’t where they went for a mortgage.

JewishBankersMalden

Parents Stanley and Anna Lubin and the new Plymouth car

The Jewish bank in Suffolk Square, Progressive Workmen’s Credit Union, saw the potential in this hard-working Polish Catholic couple who had immigrated to Massachusetts from Vilna in what is now Lithuania. They approved of their plan for a small dairy farm in the area of Bowdoin Street and Bent Avenue and gave them a mortgage for the property that they then purchased from Mrs. Bent.

JewishBankersMalden2When Elaine’s parents needed a car loan for their new blue Plymouth, they also went to Mr. Eiseman at the credit union who hand wrote their weekly payments in a passbook.  And Lubin has the distinction of receiving the bank’s first ever student loan. The Lubins did all their banking with the Jewish bankers on Saturday night when they reopened after sundown on the Sabbath and began their work week.

Courtesy Scorsello Family bank book

Courtesy Scorsello Family bank book

So when Lubin first went away to college in the years before ATM machines and was going out on Saturday evening, she saw nothing strange about her plan to stop at the bank and withdraw money on her way out with her friends. Her friends were astonished. “Where are you going to find a bank open on Saturday night?”

Lubin

Elaine Lubin, age 5

Lubin laughed when normal banking customs were explained to her. She had thought all banker’s hours were like the ones she knew growing up in Suffolk Square.

She shared more happy memories of the Shan-lor Drugstore on Cross Street, the 5&10, movie theatre, fish market, butcher, bakery and all the delicious delis. She even found a baby card in her mother’s keepsakes, mailed to Melrose Wakefield hospital from Berman’s Dry Goods. Elaine said that store was packed to the rafters with clothing and fabrics. The proprietor had a stick with a hook to get dresses down from the ceiling.

securedownload[1]

Courtesy Malden Historical Society

It was sad when all was taken by eminent domain for urban renewal projects modeled on Boston’s Scolley Square and West End. Zoning changed and the family dairy business was forced to close. Many triple-deckers mysteriously went up in flames for the insurance. Lubin and the other neighborhood children used to go watch the fires. –Sharon Santillo

About Sharon Santillo (5 Articles)
Family Stories through Art

69 Comments on Malden’s Suffolk Square is a forgotten Jewish enclave

1. Great story, Saron. I love reading about real life history. Pat

• Sharon Santillo // February 19, 2015 at 4:06 pm // Reply

Thanks,Pat.I overheard part of this story at a party and learned a bit of local history that I knew little about.

2. Gail Freeman // February 19, 2015 at 4:43 pm // Reply

Great story Sharon! Having lived in Malden all my life, I never knew any of this!

3. Debbie DeMaria, Councillor At Large // February 19, 2015 at 5:06 pm // Reply

Fantastic story Sharon. Thank you so much. Tradition and history speaks volumes!

4. Sharon, I love the pictorial along with history.

5. Wow! I’d forgotten. There was also Abe Tabachnick’s grocery store.

6. Wow! I’d forgotten. There was also Abe Tabachnick’s grocery store.

7. Malden was at least 20% Jewish population back in the day. However, I’m concerned with the picture at the top of this with a Cross hanging on the wall. Makes me wonder about the validity.

• Sharon Santillo // February 27, 2015 at 8:08 pm // Reply

Hi Lauren. I was hoping someone would notice the cross. The Jewish bankers gave a loan to the Polish Catholic family in the story when traditional banks would not. It is a true story of the Lubin family and Malden’s Suffolk Square.

8. Yes, Shan Lor Pharmacy on corner of Cross and Bryant, with Goldberg’s Fish Market, a meat market (I think it was Swerdlick’s) and a bakery on other corners. On the corner of Grape and Bryant was another bakery. I remember Sunny Rose Market (the local super market), Glick’s Meat Market, the 5 and dime (the owners had their concentration camp numbers on their arms) as did Phil, the owner of the convenience store on corner of Newton and Bryant. Across Bryant St was the Capital Theatre/bowling alleys. Further down Bryant St was another meat market and Arnold’s Barber Shop. Some great memories.

• Don’t you remember Smitty the fish store? He would give fish to many and didn’t take money as times were tough. He never became rich in finance but was rewarded in ways That truly counted! He was my grandfather. Thank you for this story. It brought back many happy childhood memories!

• PAUL FRANK // May 8, 2017 at 10:19 pm //

The Soony Rose belonged to my grandfather Max Berman. The name came from my uncle who was the only son and my grandmothers name was Rose. That’s how it became the Sonny Rose

• Margot Weinstein (Cutler) // May 8, 2017 at 11:59 pm //

Was Max Berman a dentist? My entire childhood was practically spent ( my teeth anyway) at Dr Bermans office. I think it was Ferry Street. Related?

• Stew,
      How are you. A name from the past.

9. Lenny at Shan Lor was an institution.

10. J. Silverstein // July 15, 2016 at 10:39 pm // Reply

Grew up on Bryant Street. Remember the square well! Grandmother and grandfather owned Alice’s Variety store on the corner of Essex and Henry Streets. My dad was born in 1918 in a house in the square. One of the Glick’s would always throw me a piece of corned beef when my mom would shop there. Remember the Lincoln Jr. fire when we had to go double sesions.
    Angie the barber? I went to Arnold’s.

11. Deborah Savage // December 6, 2016 at 12:48 am // Reply

My grandmother, Reva Pomerantz, lived at 80 Lyme Street until her death in 1998 at the age of 97. I loved Suffolk Square the Cake Box, and knowing everyone in the neighborhood.

12. I lived on Lyme Street as a kid (c. 1949-1960). My uncle Manuel Finn owned the drug store on the corner of Bryant St. and Grape St., in competition with Shan Lors. My stepmom’s brother-in-law, Morris Weiner, had a grocery store there, and my aunt’s father, Mr. King, was a furrier. Was it Mal’s Fruit Store? I once won a puppy at the Capitol Theater. Wow – Arnold’s Barber Shop! Sledding down the hill at Lyme St. extension, near the Daniels School –
    At the end of Lyme Street (across from the VFW I think) there was an upholstery shop as I recall – the owner hated having us kids around. At the other end there was a little variety store that sold submarine sandwiches (35 cents). Thanks for these memories.

• Nick Gelbard // April 1, 2017 at 9:44 pm // Reply

I’ve just got to ask… I’ve been researching my old Malden families from the early 20th century. They lived on Bowdoin Street – the Fines (or Finegolds) and the Fishers. Documentary evidence indicates that they were likely related (or very close to) a Max Weiner and a grocer named “M. Weiner.” One of my relatives was pushing a cart for this grocer late one night in 1931 when he was hit by a taxi. I think he may have been delivering moonshine but maybe grocers delivered to homes at 11:40 pm back then 🙂 Do the names sound familiar?

13. I love reading your memories! They are rich with characters and descriptions. I can imagine the owner of the upholstery shop that hated kids, taste a submarine sandwich, sled down the hill in the cold, and oh the delight of winning a puppy is a beyond wonderful!

14. Deborah Savage // February 2, 2017 at 7:49 am // Reply

We (or our parents) knew each other for sure then. While my grandparents lived on Lyme Street, my parents lived on Daniels Street when I was born, then on Mills Street in a triple decker with the Youngs. I went to the Daniels Street school for first grade before we moved to Peabody.My teacher was Mrs. Wright. We moved to Peabody in June 1960. I remember sliding down that hill, and running along the stone wall up the hill. My grandmother was a Finstein. My grandfather owned the United National grocery near Revere Beach. My grandmother’s house is the one right next to the DAV (not VFW) that you are talking about. We played ball in the parking lot all the time. Was Morris Weiner’s son Paul? He went on to teach economics at UCONN. The upholstery shop was a mattress factory, When they threw it down all the rodents scurried around the neighborhood. My grandmother was beside herself. She belonged to the Harvard Street shul; my grandfather’s family had founded Mishkan T’filah up the Granville Ave hill. I used to walk up there and drop in on Mrs. Chesno on Playstead Rd on the way. My uncle Sonny (Sumner) Pomerantz would still have been living at home when you lived there. In 1949 he would have been in high school I think. My mother graduated from Malden High in 48. My grandmother went to the Revere Knitting Mill a few blocks away at least once a week, usually with me in tow. It all seems like yesterday. My other memory is how diverse Lyme Street was. The was a black family directly across the street. My grandmother spoke with her every day. Lots of Italian families on the street, too. Johnny Boy lived at the far end of the street, had the classic white T and jeans, slicked back hair. Up on Ferry Street Rocky the Barber cut my brothers’ hair.

15. A Lyme St./ Suffolk Square connection! Thank you both for sharing these memories. I wish Suffolk Square was still here.

16. Margot Weinstein(Cutler) (Smith) // February 3, 2017 at 7:20 pm // Reply

Someone else posted a great story on Suffolk Square. I wish there were more photos! I was born in the 50’s but was lucky enough to experience something that kids just don’t see anymore. All these small businesses, my grandfather had a fish store. Everyone knew him as Smitty! An honest and hard working man who was loved by most! I was young but still remember a little bit about walking there and getting penny candy at Shanlors? He was a Jewish immigrant with his hard working family as they all worked many long hours. They were like a family, all the small businesses sharing each other’s challenges in one little area, although there was a larger fish store that I remember was competing with my Zadie! My grandfather had too big a heart when people came for food and didn’t have any money. He would tell them to pay when they could and he would give them the fish anyway. IHe may have not been a shrewd business man but I’d rather remember those days as a little girl knowing how much he cared about others. If anyone remembers him please share or any photos. Thanks!

17. Yes, please share photos everyone!

• Elaine Weiner // October 11, 2017 at 7:55 pm // Reply

When I first married and moved to Malden from Dorchester I shopped all over Suffolk Square. Smitty was a lovely, friendly man who was very kind to this 20 year old girl trying to be one of the Married Women of the area. I learned much from him, including how to treat people and how to speak to/with them.

18. I lived on Linwood Street in the 1950’s and attended Lincoln school (watched it burn down). Loved to go into Suffolk Square to go to the movies. Remember the chickens hanging in the butcher shop window. Arnold the barber cut my hair and told me he was a survivor. Many of them moved into the neighborhood. Spent all my summers playing ball at Ferryway Green and winters ice skating there at night. It was a tough area but we all managed to survive. Glad I lived there.

19. Leonard Freedman // March 4, 2017 at 11:49 am // Reply

I lived on Grape St. until 1940, then moved to 76 Upham St., next Franklin school. After the war, we moved to Essex ST. I went to the Franklin school until it closed in 1938, then Lincoln and Malden High. Suffolk Square will never be forgotten. I remember Leshner’s Grocery in which Jack and Fran Gabowitz worked.

20. PAUL FRANK // April 7, 2017 at 3:17 pm // Reply

My mothers family were the Bermans. They slso owned the Sonny Rose dry good store

21. Barry Velleman // April 7, 2017 at 9:32 pm // Reply

Many of our neighbors on Lyme Street at the time (c. 1949-1960) were Italian. We lived at 96 Lyme Street, renting from first the Hoffmans and then the Miccichis, though my mother’s parents (Thomas and Nadia Finn) lived above us first: they were killed in a car accident in New York on July 4, 1950. Next door upstairs were the Savastanos (Frank and Dick and their mom – Jeannie I think), and downstairs from them were Flo and Blackie. Sal Vetrano lived down the street, and next door was the Rossi family. The Rossi son, Jerome, became a major figure in the TJ Maxx organization. I played ball with Butchie Burgess accross the street, whose father (I think) was named Elmer. There was a large garage near the Harvard Street end of Lyme Street and we used to play ball, throwing the ball against the building. The folks who lived next door, named Ritter, didn’t like that very much!

• Deborah Savage // May 9, 2017 at 9:37 pm // Reply

Spent my entire childhood in Berman’s chair, too. Big cotton sticks on the ends of the needles, like we wouldn’t see them. Awful.

We used to play ball in the DAV parking lot next to my grandparent’s house at 80 Lyme Street. (Pomerantz)

He owned a grocery near Revere Beach on Atlantic Ave (United National.)

22. Laura Soto Pearlswig // April 18, 2017 at 12:46 am // Reply

I lived on Cross st. Next to Lyme st. My house at 565 Cross st . The house was high up with the
    Hill behind. Went to Daniels elementary School. My maiden name is Pearlswig.

• Hi Laura, I (Sheila Mugnano) used to live across the street from you, at 560 Cross St. I also remember the pear tree on your front lawn. I can’t remember if you had 2 or 3 older sisters.

23. PAUL FRANK // May 8, 2017 at 10:13 pm // Reply

I lived at 460 cross street directly across the street from Asia Bakery all great memories back in the late forties and fifties until urban renewal took it over and we moved to Pierce Street in Malden now I go back to show my children and is nothing what’s the weather left of Suffolk Square again great memories

24. Merton Sirota // May 23, 2017 at 1:19 pm // Reply

I was born in Malden in the mid 30’s and lived on Cross Street, Hazelwood St and Harvard Street.
    I went to Daniels. Lincoln and Malden High graduating in1954, Yes, I recall Suffolk Square and
    Cohens, Bermans,Shanlors, Freddies shoe Store,Finns and Moguls Capital Theater ( 2 features, serial .funnies ,coming attractions, and drawings for prizes like bicycles, food,etc.—I won a Piggy bank ) , Movies were 12 cents and my mother always packed a peanut and raisin snack bag,. the Cake Box with the pool parlor upstairs.My father used to go to the Progressive Credit Union fort interest free loans and savings accounts.) .
    I remember the electric trolley that the conductor had to go outdoors to re-align the car with the overhead lines when turning around.

2 blocks from our Harvard Street house was the Agudas Achum Synagogue an orthodox temple where I was bar-mitzvahed. I still imagine my grandmother sitting in the balcony and my father and I about 4 rows from the bima.That building was demolished in the 60’s and a modern
    building was constructed at that location, which is now gone.

I returned in 2004 for my MHS reunion and walked the streets of Suffolk Square and Malden Square .Remember the Mystic,Strand,Granada and Orpheam theaters? Where did the Malden Hospital go ?

• Deborah Savage // May 23, 2017 at 2:44 pm // Reply

Were you in school with Sumner (Sonny) Pomerantz? My mother Charlotte is about five years older than you. They were at 80 Lyme Street. My grandmother went to the Harvard street schul and my grandfather was up the hill on Granville.

25. Merton Sirota // May 24, 2017 at 1:06 pm // Reply

Hi Deborah,
    I do recall Sonny Pomerantz who was also buddies with Jerry Hyde (deceased) and Leon Shear. I graduated MHS in 1954.
    Wilma (my sister) just returned from her grandson’s graduation from Tufts. They toured our area and took video and photos
    around Harvard/Sammett and the Agudas Achim cemetery. They stopped at the New Bryant Street Schul and she actually met 2
    women she knew from the Suffolk Square area. ! I would have joined them,
    however I was in New Orleans
    celebrating my granddaughter’s graduation from Tulane.

26. Thank you so much for this picture…..wish there were more……Such memories from our childhood. The butcher, Azoffs bakery, both drug stores, the corner small grocery stores, etc. etc…..always something going on in and around Suffolk Sq. Thanks again:)

• Merton Sirota // June 5, 2017 at 10:47 am // Reply

Hi Barry,
      I have not heard the name “Velleman’ since my high school days. Muriel Velleman graduated with me in 1954. I do recall
      that she was my partner in a scavenger hunt . Are you in any way related to her ?

• Barry Velleman // June 5, 2017 at 11:26 am //

Hi, Merton,
        Muriel Velleman is my first cousin. Her father Nathan was my Dad’s older brother. Her mother, Minnie, was the daughter of Mr. King, the furrier in Suffolk Square. Her brother is Elliott, who also went to Malden High. They lived on Bolyston St., Malden. Muriel, I believe, just turned 80. Her married name is Baum. I believe they live in Hopkinton MA.

27. Christine Boyd // June 4, 2017 at 6:43 pm // Reply

So surprised to see a picture of my grandparents on Facebook. They had a dairy farm near where Malden Catholic sits and that is where the cows would graze. Suffolk Square had everything we needed. I still have a dish that was part of the giveaways at the movie theater. This was a great neighborhood to grow up in.

28. barbara Weiner // June 5, 2017 at 10:44 am // Reply

Hi Merton, graduated with you in 1954 and last saw you at our 50th class reunion. I still live in the suffolk square are on Mills St. I have only fond memories of the area growing up, lots of kids in the area (mixed religions, but always got along) My children all graduated MHS and now live in different cities in MA My uncle Bill Fleishman owned a coffee shop next to Goldbergs Fish Market. We belonged to the Bryant St. Shul which is located still on Bryant St. where Glicks, Finns Drugstore would have been and the Harvard St. Shul merged with us 14 yrs ago. We’re small but still in going strong after over 100 yrs. What a wonderful idea of this site and thank everyone who contributes to it.
    Barbara Sherman Weiner, June 5, 2017 @ 10:45 a.m.

29. I worked at my fathers business NORTHEASTERN MALDEN BARRELL CO. on HARVARD ST. from the age of 14 thru college and up to graduation from dental school. I remember SHERS DELI and BARNEYS convenience store on HARVARD ST. Fond memories of the area. Living in LONG ISLAND for the last 50 years[ROSLYN] but I still visit MALDEN when I come up there. Never forget your roots!

30. Merton Sirota // June 7, 2017 at 7:45 pm // Reply

Hi Barbara,
    Do you remember Cohen’s grocery store. Mr. Cohen always added up the bill on the grocery bags repeating the costs in Jewish.
    He was very fast with his addition and never made an error. Funny what we remember !
    I now live in L.I. for the summer months and in N.C. during the winter. They are both active senior communities . We love the life style.

Communicating with ex-Maldenites recalls figures from the distant past. I would appreciate it if you know the where-abouts of
    Elaine Fox (Piven). She was friendly with Arlene Wyman. Elaine was my next door neighbor and a close childhood friend.

We plan to return to Boston for a visit this fall and will definitely spend some time touring the old neighborhood.

Mert
    (mertma@juno.com)

• Barbara Sherman Weiner // June 25, 2017 at 11:11 am // Reply

Hi Mert
      Just spoke to Elaine Fox Piven and gave her your regards. She now lives in Tewksbury and is still friendly with Arlene Wyman Kahan who lives in Peabody. She will reach you on your email site soon. Please get in touch with us when you plan to visit Malden in the fall and perhaps we can get together for lunch and reminisce. My email is Bobie52003@yahoo.com. I have two granddaughters who have already graduated colleges and are now in the workforce. I now have two grandchildren entering college in the fall. Our granddaughter is entering Elon in the fall @ their college of communications and our grandson is entering Rowan Univ. in NJ studying liberal arts and music. This is so much fun!!
      Barbara

31. Sharon Santillo // June 7, 2017 at 9:06 pm // Reply

Maybe we should have a reunion!

32. Merton Sirota // June 24, 2017 at 8:10 am // Reply

GREAT SITE! link to “mysticriverjews.jcam.org” then click on “communities “then click on MALDEN. Enjoy the photos,interviews,and history of the city and Ward 7 (suffolk square).

• Rich Rotman // August 11, 2017 at 4:14 pm // Reply

I lived on Linwood street in the 1950’s. anyone else out there?

• Nick Gelbard // August 11, 2017 at 4:32 pm //

Rich,
        My great grandmother Bella Fine (Feingold) came to Malden from the Berdichev, Russia area (now Ukraine) in 1903/04. She lived on Bowdoin and Lyme Streets in Malden until her death in 1936. Her father’s name, as listed on her death certificate, was Louis Rodman (a variation of Rotman, Roitman, etc.). Have you done the Ancestry.com DNA test? We might be cousins 🙂

Nick

• Rich Rotman // August 12, 2017 at 4:00 pm //

My real name is not Rotman. My grandfather took that name when he arrived at Ellis Island.

33. Cindy Segel Sper // August 27, 2017 at 4:46 pm // Reply

Born in 1940, I well remember Suffolk Square and had not been back there since the mid 60″s . My niece and I took a trip to visit relatives and she insisted that we see Suffolk Square. I went with mixed emotions. It was a shock to see it all gone. The house I grew up in still stands at 103 Willow just below the Daniels School (now a condo). Almost everything else is gone. My sister was Toby Segel (1945) and my brother was Ed Segel (1935) and both deceased. All the streets and names are very familiar. Looking back, I think that the true gift of Suffolk Square was the cultural mix which to us seemed normal…black, white, Jewish, Catholic, Italian or Irish…it all worked.
    I would love to know if anyone remembers the Segel Family. The Willow Street house was owned by my fathers parents and was our own Brighton Beach Memoirs. My mother’s parents were the Short family on Linwood Street.
    Lots of memories. My husband and I have lived in Florida since 1969 (Tampa)
    CindySper@gmail.com
    Cindy Sandra Segel Malden HS 1958

• Barbara Sherman Weiner // August 28, 2017 at 6:56 am // Reply

I remember the Segel family. Your brother Ed who was a year older than me mixed with friends occasionally and was your Mom Lillian ? I believe she was active in B’nai Brith. I still live in Suffold Sq. on Mills St. I go by your family home almost every day. Suffolk Sq. was unique in so many ways. The street names are the same, but the population has changed. There are still a number of families like mine who have remained there and are still active at the Bryant St. Shul.
      The Harvard St. Shul merged with us 14 yrs. ago and it became condominiums. It is so nice to reminisce. My name is Barbara Sherman Weiner and originally lived on Boylston St. We have been living on Mills St. 49 years.

• I just saw this article (it brings back lots of memories) and have been scanning the comments.
      Your brother and I spent a lot of time together, especially during high school and for a few years after that; I remember being in your home many times and have fond memories of your mother who treated me as one of the family. Ran into Ed some years ago when he was living in Sudbury or Framingham.
      Mike Sadofsky (mike.sadofsky@gmail.com)

34. Barry Velleman // August 28, 2017 at 7:39 am // Reply

I went to Malden High with Toby Segel. She was a lovely young lady. So sorry to hear of her passing. I was born in 1946 and lived on 96 Lyme Street, a block away from Willow, from about 1948-1960. Our 2-family house was owned by my grandparents, Thomas and Nadia Finn. They died in a car accident in New York on July 4, 1950. (Thomas’ brother, Manuel, owned Finn’s Drug Store.)
    The next owners were the Hoffmans. They sold it to the Miccicci’s. I also went to school with Sandy Golumb, who I think lived on Willow St. or in that area. My neighborhood friends were Maxine Shoulder, Charlie Desmond, Maria Albino, Sal Vetrano, Butch Burgess, and Jerome Rossi. Maxine and Maria are on the MHS 1963 website. I know Charlie is in Education and Civil service, and Jerome became a top exec at TJ Maxx. I had cousins and step-relatives who lived on Boylston St. (Nathan/Minnie/Elliot/Muriel Velleman) and I took piano lessons from Anthony Apicella, who lived on Mills St. My Dad (Harold Velleman, 1923-2013) wanted to kill me when I ran up $10 in repairs to my bike (without his knowledge) at a little shop in Suffolk Sq. belonging to Moses Jones.

• barbara weiner // August 28, 2017 at 2:13 pm // Reply

I went to school with Muriel and lived across the street on boylston. Nice to remicise.

Sent from my iPhone

• Rich Rotman // August 29, 2017 at 4:39 pm //

I lived on Linwood st. from 1946-58. Friends with Jeff Sandler, Stu Webber and Harvey Goldman and Marc Malitsky. Great times at the Ferryway Green. Would hang out at Brighams Ice Cream and Senior Pizza. As a child I would go to Abes grocery store on corner of Henry and Cross sts. Would reach in the pickle barrel and help myself. I think he always new I would take the pickle and not tell him.

35. So much fun to bring back the memories of
    being brought up in Suffolk Square. My mom
    shopped in so many of the stores mentioned.
    She never drove and walked to do her shopping in all kinds of weather with her homemade shopping bag made from upholstery material and wooden handles. Her stamina was far beyond mine if the roles were reversed today. Interesting that no one has mentioned the Winer family or Alden Street
    but I’d love to see the conversations continue.

36. Harvey Pomeranz // October 12, 2017 at 1:11 pm // Reply

I too am a Maldonite. As a child (around 4) my parents purchased our first home at 57 Linwood St. Born 1940 and graduated Malden High 1958. So nice to read comment/memories from other Malden people. Hope to read more, and will contribute more soon. For comments from Deborah Savage, your grandparents from Lyme street were my aunt and uncle. I remember Sumner very well, as well as his sisters. I spent many a day on Seaview Ave playing with my other cousins from the Kaplan family.

• Hello Harvey. This is Rich Rotman. My brother Stephen and I lived so 70 Linwood. Do you have a brother Marty? I believe you lived near Sheldon Gilman. We lived downstairs from the Gelpe’s and across from the Malitskys.

37. Jo-Ann Galvin // October 12, 2017 at 4:34 pm // Reply

I remember Suffolk Square so well..

38. Arleen Cooper // October 12, 2017 at 6:47 pm // Reply

I didn’t know this site existed and I’m so glad I clicked on the picture to read everyone’s posts. I was born in Malden in 1943 to Frances & Morris (Murray/Rudy) Rudolph. I had a brother (Ralph Rudolph who passed away 3 years ago) and a sister, Janet Rudolph Cohan, who lives in Peabody. Ralph would have loved this site because I’m sure he knew almost everyone who has posted anything and he would certainly have tried to be in contact with you. Some of your names seem familiar to me, however, even though I attended Lincoln Elementary, Lincoln Junior High and Malden High School, I never had any friends (no one liked fat kids back then), so your names are probably familiar because I heard my parents or my brother mentioning you. My cousin, Rose Holstein, probably knows many of you, as well. She and her parents lived on Boylston Street for many years and we lived at 369 Bryant Street, around the corner from our synagogue, the Agudas Achim. Reading all your posts brings back so many wonderful memories. I can remember my parents and Ralph always talking about the Sparrow family. I guess before I was born they were neighbors and Ralph and Harold Sparrow were the best of friends. I remember that Harold was a police officer as was his father, but I can’t remember the father’s name. I remember Bendell’s Kosher Meat Market and the Kosher chicken store where men would sit plucking the chicken feathers. I can remember buying penny candy at the drug store on the corner of Bryant and Cross Streets. If I remember correctly, there were 2 or 3 drug stores on the corners of Bryant and Cross Streets. Does anyone remember the YD beverage company? – I think they were on Suffolk Street. I remember Raymond’s (where I bought my kitchen set for $49 when I got my own 2-room apartment) which then turned in to Stuarts, which had anything and everything for reasonable prices. My husband (who’s from Everett) and I went back to Malden about 10 years ago and were shocked at how it’s changed so much. I’m so glad I found this site and thank you for your posts, which brought back some wonderful memories. G-d bless each and every one of you with Health and Happiness.

39. Marsha Sullivan // October 13, 2017 at 2:08 am // Reply

So many familiar names, so many familiar memories.

I moved to this area, from the Edgeworth section of Malden as a nine year old and lived on Alden Street. A few years later we moved to Newland Street. I don’t think I had ever met Jewish people beforehand. The older bubbes and zaydes were my favorites. I loved listening to the accents and hearing the expressions they carried with them from worlds far different than those of my Irish, French and English grandparents. We of the Suffolk Square neighborhood were truly a melting pot back in those days.

I attended Daniels School and Lincoln Junior High, then back to Daniels School for double sessions after the fire at the junior high, and eventually I moved on to Malden High School. There were over 600 graduates in my class of 1965. My favorite part of the school day was when I sat in a “study” seat at the back of a college course classroom. I was able to listen to teachers prepare their students for an education that would take them onto campuses that were unheard of in my world. The Aronsons, Barry Arkin, the Cohen cousins, Brucie Golomb, Harvey Goldman, Marcie Weiner, and Ronnie Glick, among many others, lived my dream. They were my inspiration when it was time to offer my own four children such an educational opportunity several years later.

On my way home from high school, I would walk via Ferry Street and stop in the two bakeries in Judson Square. Babysitting jobs paid 50 cents an hour back then so I made sure I saved a bit of my wages for these stops. I would sometimes finish a whole loaf of freshly baked bread from the Judson Square Bakery as I strolled the more than mile distance from school to my home, taking the short cut down Cross Street to Bryant Street along my way. On other days I would stop in at the Cake Box to buy a half moon or two. To this day, I have not tasted a half moon as delicious as the ones I bought in that bakery during my schoolgirl days.

Do any of you remember a small eclectic shop on Bryant Street? That’s where I bought my parents’ Christmas gifts when I was in junior high. The, “Oh so elegant,” bottle of Evening in Paris in the blue and silver bottle for my mother and the little round blocks of Old Spice shaving soap, wrapped in parchment, for my father’s shaving mug. These treasures were purchased on “time,” but were always in my hand by December 24, thanks to the kindness of the owners who patiently allowed me to make payments from my babysitting earnings each week. My other favorite haunt for shopping was a little place just outside Suffolk Square, maybe on Lyme Street. I think it was a second-hand-shop and it was run by a very old-appearing (to my 12 year old eyes) woman. I remember there was not a bare spot of flooring in the whole place. The proprietress would literally climb over the stacks of newspapers in order to wait on her customers. More of those stacks were piled on the steps leading up to a landing of sorts. That staircase was off limits, so I have no idea what else she kept up there. Today, she would probably be labelled a hoarder, but back in those days in Suffolk Square, I believed she had the most interesting shop of all and I stopped in every chance I got, to search amongst her treasures. I’m disappointed that I don’t remember the name of either one of these shops.

I did not walk those streets as a granddaughter of one of the many who arrived as immigrants from war-torn lands across the sea. My grandparents arrived as immigrants from a different war — one of extreme hunger and poverty — the aftermath of the great famine days of Ireland. However, I certainly reaped the rewards of living amongst so many hardworking, ambitious people of Europe, living alongside equally hardworking people of various other countries. Together, we all made Suffolk Square such a unique and colorful world to grow up in. How fortunate I was…..

Thank you all for these memories.

Marsha (Atkinson) Sullivan

• Marsha what a wonderful picturesque and floral story to your past memories and our connection through our ancestors. Your description brought back memories of yesteryear and I was thoroughly engulfed by your words! Thank you for the connection to our loving families! I lived on Alden street and went to the same schools as you. But I graduated in 1973. My sister graduated in
      67. Great post❤️

40. Rose (Gualtieri) Burken // October 13, 2017 at 6:35 pm // Reply

Thank you for all the very special memories. I remember 90 o/o of everything you talked about. I always talk about the wonderful melting pot in. Which I grew up. I also speak of the very positive effect our Jewish neighbors had on all of us.

41. Harvey Pomeranz // October 16, 2017 at 2:20 pm // Reply

Hello Rich Rotman, this is Harvey Pomeranz responding to your recent post. Oh yes, I have a younger brother Marty. If you lived on the first floor of the Gelpe’s 2 family house, I was the baby sitter for you and your brother while I was growing up. And of cours I remember Mark Malitsky across the street from you. My email address is sabyharvey@aol.com. Would love to hear more from you and your brother. The Gilman boy from Linwood St. was Richard Gilman; we were very close friends; and it was Rich who emailed me the article about Suffork square.

• Deborah Savage // October 17, 2017 at 12:58 am // Reply

Harvey, your are one of Uncle Louie’s sons, right? Shimmy’s brother? I’m Charlotte and Harry’s daughter.

42. Marsha (Atkinson) Sullivan // October 17, 2017 at 12:21 pm // Reply

Hello Margot,

I remember you and your brother and when you moved in to my neighborhood. Was your brother’s name Larry? That’s the name I seem to remember