Malden News

Malden’s Suffolk Square is a forgotten Jewish enclave

securedownload[4]

Grandparents Felix and Christina Lubin

Have you ever heard the term banker’s hours? This usually refers to being open for the shortest, most inconvenient hours. But back before Suffolk Square in Malden, Massachusetts was leveled for urban renewal, banker’s hours had a whole different meaning.

Suffolk Square was a Jewish enclave in Malden, the heart of which was in the vicinity of Cross and Bryant streets and the old Lincoln Junior High School. When Elaine Lubin’s grandparents wanted to buy land in Malden, the large, established banks in Malden Square weren’t where they went for a mortgage.

JewishBankersMalden

Parents Stanley and Anna Lubin and the new Plymouth car

The Jewish bank in Suffolk Square, Progressive Workmen’s Credit Union, saw the potential in this hard-working Polish Catholic couple who had immigrated to Massachusetts from Vilna in what is now Lithuania. They approved of their plan for a small dairy farm in the area of Bowdoin Street and Bent Avenue and gave them a mortgage for the property that they then purchased from Mrs. Bent.

JewishBankersMalden2When Elaine’s parents needed a car loan for their new blue Plymouth, they also went to Mr. Eiseman at the credit union who hand wrote their weekly payments in a passbook.  And Lubin has the distinction of receiving the bank’s first ever student loan. The Lubins did all their banking with the Jewish bankers on Saturday night when they reopened after sundown on the Sabbath and began their work week.

Courtesy Scorsello Family bank book

Courtesy Scorsello Family bank book

So when Lubin first went away to college in the years before ATM machines and was going out on Saturday evening, she saw nothing strange about her plan to stop at the bank and withdraw money on her way out with her friends. Her friends were astonished. “Where are you going to find a bank open on Saturday night?”

Lubin

Elaine Lubin, age 5

Lubin laughed when normal banking customs were explained to her. She had thought all banker’s hours were like the ones she knew growing up in Suffolk Square.

She shared more happy memories of the Shan-lor Drugstore on Cross Street, the 5&10, movie theatre, fish market, butcher, bakery and all the delicious delis. She even found a baby card in her mother’s keepsakes, mailed to Melrose Wakefield hospital from Berman’s Dry Goods. Elaine said that store was packed to the rafters with clothing and fabrics. The proprietor had a stick with a hook to get dresses down from the ceiling.

securedownload[1]

Courtesy Malden Historical Society

It was sad when all was taken by eminent domain for urban renewal projects modeled on Boston’s Scolley Square and West End. Zoning changed and the family dairy business was forced to close. Many triple-deckers mysteriously went up in flames for the insurance. Lubin and the other neighborhood children used to go watch the fires. –Sharon Santillo

About Sharon Santillo (5 Articles)
Family Stories through Art

74 Comments on Malden’s Suffolk Square is a forgotten Jewish enclave

1. Nate Lincoff // March 22, 2019 at 2:16 pm // Reply

Wondering if this site is still active? I left a comment that hasn’t been published. I lived in the fringe of Suffolk Sq. on Coburn Street where my grandparents owned a home and where my mother was born.

Nate Lincoff

2. Harvey Vigasin // March 22, 2019 at 8:25 pm // Reply

Hello Nate. My name is Harvey Allen Vigasin. Class of 1967. From 1951-1959. I lived at 27 Almont St. The house was owned by Hyman Rubenstein. His wife Charlotte Passed away a month ago. My Father was Moses Vigasin , Mother was LIllian. Her children were Harvey4/24/48, My brother William G 4/25/53 and My sister, Linda 1957. . Youre backyard was on my right. In 1954 the house was sold to the Springers. !n 1959 We moved to the Faulkner Projects and later to Lisbon St. Did youi you ever Meet Norman Geenbaum? AKA Dr. West. He also lived on Lisbon St, But probably on one of those properties That “caught Fire” Here is a Suffolk Square Memory for :You. There Used to be a good sized supermarket (Lechner’s) I remember A TV add promoting .the Eddie Cantor Show. My barber was German Jewish refugee Henry Guilden. He moved his shop to Judson Square He may been there through the 80s. . Hope some of this is helpfull. I remember Your grandfather Owned a 1957 Dodge . Take Care. HarveyVigasin.

3. Nate Lincoff // March 23, 2019 at 1:12 pm // Reply

Hi Harvey, I vaguely remember you and your family. I was born in ’52. My older brother Josh was your age. My grandfather, Nathan Rodman actually passed away in 1950. He didn’t drive or own a car as far as I was told. My father had a Nash and then an Olds 88. I spent many hours on Almont St. on “Hebrew Mountain”. We would hang out there, go sledding there etc. The Glick family lived on the corner of Almont St. and Almont terrace. I also knew the Levine family who lived directly across the street from the Hebrew School. Michael, who was your age became the drummer of the acid rock group “ultimate spinach”. He died from a drug overdose. I did know Norman Greenbaum when his mother lived on Franklin Street. She taught Bar Mitzvah lessons in her home. I’ll never forget catching the Faulkner bus to Everett station on Bryant st. between Newton and Hazelwood St. Phil’s variety was on the corner of Newton and Bryant. Penny candy galore, soda in bottles including YD which was right around the corner on Cross St. What I’ll always remember the most was when the cranes arrived and demolished most of the “3” deckers. Little did I know then that it was just the former mayor Walter Kelleher’s urban renewal plan to keep a certain group of immigrants out of Malden. I went to Henry the barber after Arnold the barber passed away. It was a real adventure living there during those years. My best friend who also grew up on Coburn St. wrote book that has tons of history about the development of Suffolk Sq. It’s incorporated into a fiction about 2 kids, David and me, who witness a crime and are perplexed about how to deal with it. The book is “Sins of the Omission” and is available on Amazon.
    Thanks for replying Harvey and be well.
    Nate L

4. Nate Lincoff // March 23, 2019 at 2:12 pm // Reply

Hey Stew, Now there’s a name from the past! I haven’t seen or heard from Josh since 2011 at our younger brother Eddie’s funeral. He passed away at age 45. Both our parents were pre-deceased. Josh was living in Seattle, then Tuscon AZ , Ohio and last I heard was in SC. Aren’t you up in the Plumb Island area? I think I last saw you some years back at Logan airport. Weren’t you working there?

5. Nate Lincoff // March 23, 2019 at 7:33 pm // Reply

New Jersey?….what exit? I live in Salem, MA. I’m married to someone you once knew. You dated her older sister from Winthrop! I have one son who just turned 30. He played football at Clemson so I drove thru NJ on many occasions going to SC. We have relatives there as well.
    Not many folks left from Coburn Street from those days. Glad to hear from you!

• Stew Cutler // March 23, 2019 at 7:55 pm // Reply

Yeah, New Jersey. Wish I was still near Plum Island. We sold weekend property in Dutchess County NY last December. When wife retires we’ll get out of here, maybe back upstate or the Berkshires. Who from Winthrop did you marry? Btw when I read the review of your friends book I immediately knew it was the Lincoffs. I guess it’s too bad you and your brother aren’t close but it is what it is.

• Nate Lincoff // March 23, 2019 at 9:42 pm //

Eilene Brown’s younger sister Andrea. Married 42 years. Eilene still lives in Winthrop. Has one son who’s 37.
        Do you still ride a motorcycle? You were the first Jewish kid I knew that rode. The second was Elliott Goldstein. No longer alive and his cousin Stuart Goldberg who got killed on his chopper. Sad . Be well and ride safe !
        Nate

• Stew Cutler // March 23, 2019 at 10:12 pm //

I thought Eileen was living in duxbury. Oh well. Take care

• Nate Lincoff // March 23, 2019 at 11:26 pm //

Eileen married a guy from Duxbury. They first lived in East Boston before moving back to Winthrop. I think she’s about the only Jew still living there!
        Times have changed…..

6. Harvey Vigasin // March 23, 2019 at 11:13 pm // Reply

Hi Nate and Hello Stew: When they retired, my folks and Brother moved to Tuscon. My sister is living in Seattle. Hear once in a while. When i finished Malden High in 67.. The draft was on So I joined the Air Force.: Missed 1967-1969. Most of the Summer of love. That So called Boston Sound around 67-68 for the most part. I was stationed in Spain Torrejojn AB. Francisco Franco . (ElJeffe) was the boss. Orpheus was the only band .we heard there. Martha Greenbaum was my Hebrew Teacher. Her Husband Moses was an insurance salesman. She used to take my payment and just leave it in the top drawer. . I heard that some one with a sharpened umbrella held them up. My last job was the Va, Gov Ctr. 1980-2012. At one point 1970-83. I lived Not far from Central and Harvard sq. Cambridge. If I am correct,Elliot ran a store, (Tech Hi Fi.) Off Mass Ave. The YD Tonic Later moved to South Boston. The place that used to bottle it also bottled Teds Root Beer. There used to be an autographed photo of Ted Williams in the front office.. It Went down with the building.

7. Harvey A Vigasin // March 26, 2019 at 8:04 pm // Reply

Nate: Just got a copy of Sins of Omission .Could you tell him how much I enjoyed it! Could not put it down. Thanks and take care Harvey Vigasin

8. Harvey Vigasin // March 26, 2019 at 9:12 pm // Reply

Thank you for the suggestion on “Sins of Omission” I read it today and enjoyed the book.
    Harvey

• Nate Lincoff // March 26, 2019 at 9:44 pm // Reply

Great! I was Matt ! David lived on Coburn Street. His dad was a kosher butcher in Brookline. His mother Ruthie is 100 plus and lives independently in Peabody! She still drives. What was great about the book was the history regarding the immigrants that came to Suffolk’s square. Only in America! The cover pictures were taken by mother on the first day of school when I was beginning the second grade. My brother Josh, is the tall blonde who was entering the 5th grade. Glad you read it.

9. Harvey Vigasin // March 27, 2019 at 6:17 pm // Reply

Nate: There is a major error in a past communication. I went to make a correction on my comments on the Greenbaums, I, accidently deleted a sentence relating to The variety store. (Bills) was the place held up . Sorry. By the way my Father “Moe”, worked for a cleaning Co for 20 years. (Sub-Urban Waxing), Pleasant St Malden Ma. You may have seen the old Blue GMC panel trucks around back in the 50s and 60. I was born on Granville ave 76. The Ames Brothers (changed name) , Originated from there too. Take Care: Harvey

• Deborah Savage // March 27, 2019 at 9:45 pm // Reply

My greatgrandfather was one of the founders if the Granville Ave shul, Mushkan T’filah.

• Nate lincoff // March 27, 2019 at 9:59 pm //

Hi Deborah, My grandfather Nathan Rodman was one of the founders of Temple Tifereth Israel and was key to fund raising for the “ new” temple they built on Salem Street. His cousin was a founder of the Faulkner Street schul which ended up in the west end. How many active synagogues are there now in Malden.? I remember there were at least 3 in Suffolk square plus the ultra orthodox schul on Holyoke Street.

10. Harvey A Vigasin // March 28, 2019 at 1:36 am // Reply

Hi Deborah and Nate. Where on Granville ave was the Mushkin T,ifilah located? It must have been in a converted house. . Did you know a family there Wildorff (Sophie) a daughter Reva., or Senders Labiie and Ruth? . By the way, my father used to belong to the Progressive Credit
    Union. I had my bar mitzvah in the old building at Agudus Achim . That and the old Bryant St Schul are now combined into 1 congregation. . Back in the 50s-60s There was huge hall that was on the corner of Bryant St. At the time,I t may have been run by the JWV. It may have been a schul before that.. Any info; For a year or so I used to attend boy scout meetings at the Salem St Temple (Troop 613) You may possibly remember a family named Rubenstein that lived on Newton. St. My Grandfather Frank also lived to 100. His children were Izzy, Hyman,. Lillian, (My mother) And Melvin the younger brother. He may have been a charter member of the Salem St temple. His family lives in St Paul these days .

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 9:09 am // Reply

I was a member of troop 613 and met at the Salem st temple. Ave Japlan was the scout master. I knew the Rubensteins on Newton St, Marty was my best friend. Lived around the corner, down the steeet from Nate.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 9:23 am //

Hi Stew–David Katz here (your old neighbor from 18 Coburn Street). I, too was a member of Troop 613. Abe Kaplan was the Scoutmaster; Billy Tabasky was my patrol leader when I first joined (his brother, Sam, married Bunny Toder).

I remember boxing in your basement and building snow forts in your back yard with Nate & Josh Lincoff, Don Razinsky, Stevie Abisso, Mark Toder, Larry & Eddie Gersh, et al.

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 9:48 am //

Wow! Your memory is much better than mine. You shook some cobwebs. Really thinking hard I remember on Coburn St, Nate and Josh, Eddie and Larry, Billy McNamee, Butchie(?) Garrison, the Powers family, the Factors, the Londons, the Blacks, the Boraks (sp) and now since you mention Bunny Toder. I knew people on Newton St, a few on Hazelwood and Franklin Sts

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 10:16 am //

You might remember my sister, Barbara. She was MHS class of 1966. I remember Barbara & Beverly Factor, of course; they were friendly with my sister, and they were cousins to Mark Lyons, who lived on the corner of Franlklin & Newton Streets.

You mentioned the Blacks–they were oour next door neighbors. Their house on the corner of Hazelwood & Coburn was torn down in the late 1960s. I remember Betty & George Boracks and their son Paul very well. They lived next door to Nate & Josh. Paul had a 1956 Corvette–it was sweet! I remember when George died suddenly in 1960; we were all shocked. Betty was so nice–unlike our landlady, Mrs. Goldberg, Betty never minded when the kids in the neighborhood wandered through her back yard.

Do you remember the “zip gun” war?

As mentioned in another post, I wrote a novel about growing up on Coburn Street (“Sin of Omission”). Though now out of print, it’s in the Malden Public Library and there are some used paperbacks available on Amazon.

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 10:41 am //

I wondered who wrote that. I saw it reviewed somewhere years ago and read. Clearly josh and Nate recognized but always wanted to know who wrote it. Now I must read again. I remember names unfortunately not much else. I can see in my mind the houses on coburn st but not the people. Some time ago My cousin steve Crocker asked if I Knew don razinsky to which I said the name is familiar. Where do you live? Wife and I live in NJ.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 10:53 am //

I remember Steve Crocker very well. He lived on Almont Street, at the foot of Coburn. I have lived in Granby, CT for 32 years. My mother and father left Malden in 2000 and moved to Peabody, MA; my mother turned 100 last year and still lives in Peabody. She knew your mother.

Before I was born, my grandparents (the Weiners) and my mother lived at 14 Coburn Street in the house owned by Josh & Nate’s grandparents. When I was born in 1952, we moved to 18 Coburn. Nate & I were best friends. If you are having a hard time remembering, consider this–I was the littlest kid on the block.

• Deborah Anne Savage // March 28, 2019 at 8:09 pm // Reply

Mishkan T’filah was, indeed, in a converted house. Top of the hill, on the left as you went up the street just as the street turned right. It was nice inside, and we had a social hall on the top floor.

11. В нашей фирме вы можете купить ЁМКОСТНОЕ И РЕЗЕРВУАРНОЕ ОБОРУДОВАНИЕ, Резервуары — отстойники, Мешалка коническая, Система механического обезвоживания осадка (мешочного типа), Распределительные колодцы, Плавающая загрузка (ПЗ), Статические смесители, ОДЪЕМНЫЕ УСТРОЙСТВА И МЕТАЛЛОКОНСТРУКЦИИ Шнеки из конструкционной и нержавеющей стали, ВОДООЧИСТНОЕ ОБОРУДОВАНИЕ Флотационные системы (Флотаторы), ПОДЪЕМНЫЕ УСТРОЙСТВА И МЕТАЛЛОКОНСТРУКЦИИ Вышки (сотовой связи в том числе), ОЧИСТКА ЛИВНЕВЫХ СТОЧНЫХ ВОД Пескоуловитель, НАСОСНОЕ И КОМПРЕССОРНОЕ ОБОРУДОВАНИЕ (Грунфос, КСБ, Вило, КИТ, Взлёт, ТВП) Компрессор роторно-пластинчатый, ВОДОПОДГОТОВКУ Установки фильтрации и предподготовки, а также все для автомойки Система очистки воды для автомоек.

У нас вы найдете Строительство ЛОС, а также ббз, мы можем произвести Строительство кессона. Бурение неглубоких скважин, Поиск полезных ископаемых, Монтаж водоснабжения.

У нас обслуживает скважины, производит Ремонт скважин на воду.

декантер обезвоживание осадка также блок биологической загрузки купить блок биологической загрузки ббз 65

12. Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 10:59 am // Reply

The Borax family had a gas station and were top notch mechanics. George died on a New Year’s Eve. It was actually Paul’s older brother Jerry that had the corvette. Paul had a cool 2 dr Pontiac bonneville. Poor Betty never recovered from her husbands suffen passing. She died around 1964’ish. The Rabbi from the shul on Holyoke Street moved in that house . He was very nice and presided over my brother Eddie’s bris. Rabbi Miller from Tifereth Israel , our temple wouldn’t do it because he told my father it was pointless and that there’d be no “miracle” in reference to Eddie having Downs syndrome. That was the end of our membership in the temple ! My father was pissed.
    I remember the Power’s son had one of the very first 64 1/2 Mustang convertibles. Canary yellow with black interior. I loved that car. Stew’s dad always had a Cadillac if I remember correctly.
    I can’t count how many times mrs Goldberg called the police on is just for being kids and doing what kids do ….like climbing up on the roof of her garage, playing kickball and just trying to sneak up the back stairs of David’s house without her hearing us!
    There was a family from NJ that moved into the 3 decker near me that only lived there for a short while because it was on the “ tear down” list. The Montefusco family. There were 3 boys and a girl. Dennis, Gary and Johnny who went on to become the “Count” of Montefusco as a major league pitcher for the Pirates. He was an all-star his rookie year. I’ll have to google him.
    Great memories.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 11:25 am // Reply

Nate–Rabbi Miller didn’t come to the Temple until the fall of 1965, after we were Bar Mitzvahed. Perhaps it was Rabbi Rivkin (tall, thin,dark hair, glasses, humorless) of whom you were thinking.

I remember Stewie’s father’s Cadillacs! I think one was a black 1957 with the huge fins, but I could be wrong about that.

Do you remember the time Mrs. Goldberg actually used foul language at us? I think she was suffering from dementia.

I remember Dennis, Gary & Johnny very well. Dennis was a year younger than us (and a little crazy); Gary was a year older and the most level-headed of the three brothers. Johnny was Josh’s age, I think. He pitched for the Giants and, later, the Yankees. After he left baseball, he went to prison for a couple of years for beating wife.

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 11:54 am //

That’s correct! He debuted iwith the Giants in relief vs Dodgers. Pitched 9 inning, 7 SO’s. 1 earned run. Went on to get rookie of the year. Pitched for the Braves later on. Pitchec 12 years in the majors. I have a picture of him in my backyard sitting on the “ wall” where the garage once was in our bathing suits. Probably had the garden hose turned on since there sure wasn’t a pool back there! I always dreamt of having one there.
        For some reason I know it wasn’t rabbi Rivkin. He bar mitzvahed Josh. He wasn’t there for mine on June of 1965. There was a fill in who’s name I can’t recall but I have his picture somewhere. Eddie was born Sept 2, 1966 but didn’t come from the hospital until mid September.

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm //

It must be the few years I have on you guys but your too much. One of my dad’s caddies was a black ‘58 I don’t remember a ‘56 corvette on the street. I remember my brothers friend who thought was Paul had a ‘52 mercury but it could have been someone else.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 12:19 pm //

My dad’s favorite car was the 1956 DeSoto we had with the push-button transmission, power steering, windows & brakes. He loved that car. I remember Nate’s father’s Nash (he thought it was cool that the front bench seat reclined so it could be a bed), and your father’s Caddy with the two “Dagmar” bumpers in front and the giant tail fins. I vaguely recall that someone had a Studebaker (the one with the bullet nose), but I can’t remember who.

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 12:22 pm //

My father had a ‘47 Studie well before the cadillacs maybe you remember that far back

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 12:30 pm //

My earliest memories are when I was 3 years old. I remember our 1948 Buick Roadmaster (before we got the DeSoto). The Studebaker I recall was gray (I think).

I also remember that your favorite college football team was Penn State. I chose Michigan because its colors were the same as Malden High and the “M” was identical. I think Nate chose the NFL Rams for the same reason (but I may be wron about that–Nate, help out here). Anther sports memory: watching the last game of the 1960 World Series after school at Nate’s house and being stunned that the Yankees lost.

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 12:47 pm //

I remember the studie being green. I don’t remember having a favorite college team. My father became a ny giants fan after the redskins left Boston so naturally to be a ball buster during the ‘58 or ‘59 championship game I cheered for the colts. now that you mention it do remember Nate having a rams helmet.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 12:50 pm //

There were a lot of NY Giants fans before the AFL arrived, because that was the team they broadcast on TV. I wanted a Rams helmet like Nate’s but my mother bought me a Browns helmet at Zayre’s because it was on sale. I hated it.

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 1:23 pm //

Bart came here for work. He came from a coal mining family. He worked at the chemical factory in Malden. Crystal?….he was a generous guy. I recall he loaded up his car with a bunch of us to go to revere beach when it just opened for the season. We went to one of the bars that served pizza……not realizing that it was Passover! I’ve been cursed ever since!…..lol Bart mysteriously up and took off one day and was never seen again. He had a mutt named Lucky. A mostly black and white mixed lab . Lucky didn’t like strangers, especially black males. He jumped the fence one day and bit a guy. The Malden PD came down and shot Lucky right in the backyard. So much for due process. I recall the sound of the single gunshot to this day!

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 1:53 pm //

Didn’t Bart help us build a go-cart? I vaguely remember using the wheels from an old baby carriage. I thought it was Bart who showed us how to use a bolt and washer setup with a two-by four and two hand ropes as the steering mechanism, and an accordion-lever to the rear wheels as a brake. I remember racing down the hill on Almont Street toward Franklin. Does this ring a bell?

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 2:07 pm //

I certainly do! He had his tools outside on his back porch. What a character.
        We were very creative during those years. The last time I drove down Coburn st was in 2011 after Eddie passed away. I was coming from Goldman’s and took one last look.
        Sad.

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 1:13 pm //

Ok, my brother josh had the rams uniform and I had the browns. I think that’s all they had to choose from in Jordan marsh in Malden sq . They came boxed with helmet, shirt, pants and shoulder pads…..wear at your own risk of injury !….lol. My team was the NY Giants! Sam Huff, Y A Tittle Frank Gifford. Pat Summers etc. When the Pats began in the AFC they were a sandlot football team. Saw them play everywhere. Fenway park. BC, BU and finally Schafer stadium. Who knew there become a football dynasty? Other than RKK…lol

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 12:58 pm //

Paul’s older brother who had the vette actually lived north right over the border in Derry NH. He was on Coburn st pretty often visiting. I remember when josh first got his license he let him take me for a ride around Malden in it. It has a 2 speed automatic. Imagine that?
        Across the street from me a Polish family lived there named Orluck. Sophie and Peter.. daughter was Marie. She met some guy from West Virginia , a real Appalachian back woods guy named Bart who tinkered with cars. He has a cool white with blue 2 dr crown Vic coupe. His buddy “chick” lived off of Bryant street somewhere and they bought a studebaker “ gold hawk” as a project car. It had a potent V-8. They worked on it in the yard on Coburn st for a long time. It was gold in color.
        I remember when Peter passed away and the wake was in their parlor.! Yikes, I had nightmares for years!! I remember going to Goldman’s on ferry st after the movies on a hot summer day with Michael and Coburn st gang plus Mark Mintz, and going down stairs where the bodies were prepped. Grandpa Goldman “Alta” would be sound asleep with his prayer book in his lap snoring away. I remember Eddie Gersh hopping into a casket which was then closed. Freaked me right out and gave me a whole new perspective about death. Talk about writing a book!

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 1:04 pm //

lol I don’t remember any of that but I can see Eddie getting in a coffin. I remember Harvey taking me and Leon weisberg down stairs and he opened a pine box. Leon and I ran all the way up Newton st to Leon’s house in franklin st.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 1:13 pm //

Din’t Leon live on Holyoke Street? Was his kid sister named Debbie?

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 1:32 pm //

Weisberg’s lived on franklin street. León, Debbie and Norma. Leon had a real cool 66-67 GTO. Light green. 4 speed. They lived across the street from Marc Grodberg. What about the Pernas? Anthony. Steve Jerry. Top of franklin at upham street

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 3:45 pm //

No Leon lived on franklin. In one of the three deckers diag opposite the top of Newton st

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 3:49 pm //

I must be thinking of Richard Weisberg and his sister Debbie. They lived on Holyoke Street. Richie was in the band, “The Beacon Street Union.” They cut several albums and actually opened for Janis Joplin once.

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 4:08 pm //

Dickie Weisberg was the drummer. They lived on the corner of franklin and Holyoke Street. Freddy Gelman lived in the same house. How about Bert Zimmerman down on Holyoke and Linwood and Alan Milkoff on Linwood. Across the street from Alan Averbach. He was off the rails. He used to booby trap his room door in case his father came in after him. He used to drive golf balls off the walls on his bedroom. He lived to the right of Bobby Titus.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 1:10 pm //

Damn! That’s it! Bart used to work on the car in the yard–it was a side yard, I think. We used to watch them fixing up the car!

13. Nate lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 11:29 am // Reply

Another Coburn Street tidbit. There was a public pay telephone in the hallway of 12 Coburn Street where my grandparents lived. The first phone in the area well before my time! My mother was born in that house on the second floor. Got married and lived on the third floor which was like an extension of the second floor with a tiny kitchen. After I was born and the Katz’s moved out they moved into the first floor. It was odd that the same house had 2 postal addresses, 12 & 14.
    The Toder’s we’re directkf across from us and the Gersh family lived on the second floor of the Sandler’s house diagonally to the right of our house. Their daughter Eunice married Arhhur Epstein who owned every Midas muffler shop in the northeast US. She passed away and he sold off his franchises and is a well know philanthropist today.

• Stew Cutler // March 28, 2019 at 4:01 pm // Reply

I don’t remember him having a sister. I knew his cousin who lived with her family on the third floor, Leon’s family on second floor and I want to say his grandmother lived on first floor. You guys are straining whatever powers of recollection I have left. His mother and his uncle had ‘59 Oldsmobile’s hers was white and his was light blue. She traded hers for a maroon ‘64 impala convertible. He had a Lambretta scooter in MHS. When I fractured my tibia he schlepped to school on the back of the scooter with my crutches flailing. He did get a gto later. His uncle was a Linotype operator for the Malden news and we sometimes got to hang out with him at lunch times. Sat on the sill of the window next to his machine. Marty Rubinstein in Newton st also bought a got but later on. It was a judge and we made fun of it. Wish I had it today. Used to run bikes up and down Nahant beach with Eliot Goldstein and yes I still have a bike. I don’t ride anymore so i will probably get off my butt and sell it this summer. Did you know David Weinberg? Lived on Henry street then moved to Winthrop? He was a whole different car guy. Built vw dragster motors in his bedroom.

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 4:23 pm //

I think David should write a sequel with all this rehashed info. Leo Weisberg was connected to Don Law the concert producer. I used to go to concerts with his youngest sister Norma. The Rubensteins went nortwest to Peabody. They had a Shell station and auto repair shop on Lowell st. One of them still operates an auto repair shop on Rt 1 south in Peabody.
        What about the Michaelson’s from Hazelwood Street? Kenny and his older brother? Kenny could throw a baseball further than anyone I’ve ever seen.
        Willie Barron moved onto Hazelwood Street but that was in the late 60’s early 70’s. His mother lived with him. He was off the wall too! He became a school teacher and painted for the Malden housing authority in the summer. So did I with Marc Grodberg who’s uncle dick Higgins was the foreman. We worked in the Linden housing projects. Amazing.

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 4:40 pm //

Larry Rubenstein still has the auto shop in Peabody–Rt. 1 Auto Repairs. He serviced my mother’s Buick until this past December, when he bought it from her (thus ensuring the safety of motorists and pedestrians alike!). He is a great guy. He told me he lived on Almont Street.

• Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 4:52 pm //

Yep, Larry! He writes a column in our local paper about auto diagnostic. A Q& A about malfunctions and how to or wether or not to repair. I brought a friends car to him several years ago to get an insiection done prior to selling it and he said it wasn’t worth repairing.
        A lot of Jewish kids had great mechanical aptitude and they all didn’t become doctors…..or lawyers!!!….lololol
        Speaking of which. Have you heard from Ricky Harold? Didn’t live in Suffolk sq but practically worked there at the drug store up on Salem Street and Faulkner. Faulkner pharmacy.!

• David Evans Katz // March 28, 2019 at 5:15 pm //

Every once in a blue moon, I hear from Rick. He retired from his dentistry practice and lives in Hull now.

• Nate Lincoff // March 29, 2019 at 4:49 pm //

I saw Michael Frank 2 yrs ago in Florida. He’s managing Flakowitz deli in Boca Raton. He looks like he’s still a teen ager! His cousin Michael”Mickey” Green lives in Florida too and is the GM at Auto Nation Cadillac in West Palm beach. Didn’t get too see him but saw him last at his mothers shiva in 2016.
        Life passes by quickly.

14. Nate Lincoff // March 28, 2019 at 4:57 pm // Reply

I think we’ve given this site quite a workout! More stories written in the past 2 days than in the previous 4 years! For those of you still out there that read these comments feel free to jump right in! In the meantime have a happy Pesach everyone and Go Red Sox! First game tonight at 7:08 pm EST

15. Deborah Anne Savage // March 28, 2019 at 8:14 pm // Reply

My Malden relatives are Pomerantz and Finstein. My grandfather’s sister Esther was married to Harry Kaplan. She had a hairdressing business at her home on one of the side streets off Granville. When I was little we lived in a triple-decker on Mill Street, off Ferry. It was owned by our family friends, Barbara and Joe Young. Barbara’s maiden name was Chesno, and her parents lived on Playstead road. I have home movies of Rocky the barber cutting my baby brother’s hair. My grandparents lived on Lyme Street, in the single family next to the DAV. My brother was good friends with Louis Goldstein, whose house was on the corner of Daniels. I went to first grade at the Daniel’s Street school My teacher was Mrs. Wright. My granfather owned the United National Supermarket on North Shore Road in Revere.

• Nate Lincoff // March 29, 2019 at 4:41 pm // Reply

Did you live on upper or lower mills street? Probably lower since you went to the Daniels. I knew loads of kids from mills street. The Krivelow family, upper near ferry street. The Elliott family, around the middle near Henry street, the Chernacks? It used to be great to travel around the neighborhoods by bike or on foot back in those days.
      My dad grew up in Revere and he worked part time in your grandfathers store as well as on Revere beach prior to the war for Louis Fox and Victor and Bob Shaeb….Bob’s discount.

16. harvey vigasin // March 29, 2019 at 12:52 am // Reply

And a happy pesach to you !f you can ever get to the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport ,Maine there is a Trackless Trolley That has a Suffolk Square Sign on it. It was one from the late 40s-50s. . Harvey

17. harvey vigasin // March 29, 2019 at 4:14 pm // Reply

A few years back I found a copy 0f Mgm 45 of Speed Kills/South End Incident.. I know That later on John lincoln Wright started a group called the Sour Mash boys. . Anybody here have any thing to do with that group? He used to live in Somereville and did a concert in Fitchburg The star being Merle Haggard. John Reno . When he was to perform , they broke for a sponsor. . By that time 1975, Okie From Wiskokee Was in good fun. Speaking of Jews in auto mechanics, My Bill was chief mechanic in Tuscon AZ; Anybody remember Donald Avin He rode a motorcycle for years and operated a small repair shop in Somerville. The Vespa Bravo 49.9cc was a great way to get to Malden Lynn, Swampscott and Framingham, till it got stolen.. .
    harvey

• Nate Lincoff // March 29, 2019 at 4:34 pm // Reply

I did see that trackless trolley”Faulkner” Suffolk sq bus in Maine a few years ago and took a picture of it.
      When I was 8 yrs old my mother was shlepping me into Boston to probably go shopping in filenes basement. I remember there was a small group of some well dressed men standing st the old hangar Everett station where the orange line ended. This man who appeared to be 7 feet tall rubbed my head, which had a “ wiffle” cut at the time and said it was for “ good luck”!
      That man was US senator John F. Kennedy who was running for President and was out campaigning by greeting voters. He was accompanied by Torbert McDonald who was the congressman from the 7th district which included Malden. I’ll never forget that day or the day JFK was assassinated. It was also the day I got to sleep over at David’s brand new house on Gordon Street. He was the only person I knew that was going to live in a brand new home!

18. harvey vigasin // March 29, 2019 at 9:38 pm // Reply

Hello Nate. He (JFK) was also in my mothers 1946 Maldonian. You may have seen it. Speaking of my mother, she was usually taken for Southern Italian. When in 1962, John f Volpe was campaigning for governor he was in front of Stop and Shop at the Fellsway Plaza he posed with. . My Mother, Me and my brother Bill.. As it turns out there is probably a 12 percent ancestry, (Spanish-Italian) possibly some English-German too, That’s history .When Kennedy was assasinated We actually had a full school day. It was announced as we were leaving.I remember BobTitus and those people well too In 1961 He had one if the First Cbs I ever saw. The bands were so clear then that you could Skip . across the country on 5 watts. My . It was a cheap hobby, My brother still runs (and repairs) a 2 meter Station. One of many Jewish Hams! . Is there a way you could post a picture of that bus. . There used to b e a tripple decker . to the left off Bob Titus.. It you ever Read the Book “I Lead 3 Lives) By Herb Philbrick. That was were he did his work for rhe FBI. On the 3rd floor. Take care. Harvey

• Nate Lincoff // March 29, 2019 at 11:41 pm // Reply

Harvey, I’ll have to retrieve that pic from my old iPhone. I never uploaded to my iCloud storage. I’ll get to it because there are other pics with it that I need to retrieve. A lot happened in Malden for for sure. I remember when they were filming the “Boston Strangler” in the Forestdale cemetery and we ride our bikes over to see Tony Curtis. No social media back then!… lol. Word of mouth traveled quickly.
      I was the president of my sophomore class . In my junior year we somehow connected with I can’t recall who but we got the Lovin’ Spoonful to do a live performance in the auditorium.
      I led the effort to change the draconian “dress code “ in force under Headmaster F.Champlain Webster. Artie Boyle succeeded him and he was just a tremendous administrator, basketball coach and person.

19. harvey vigasin // March 30, 2019 at 12:10 am // Reply

Nate That is no problem. I was thinking that way too. Whenever. . I saw the movie The Boston Strangler when It played at Torrejon AB Spain. .2001 Also played in True Cinerama in Madrid, “Que Pasa Dave, etc. I heard that MHS went from 1958 to 1968 . . Artie Boyle seemed to be a good guy. Brendan Duffy and Fred RLaterogers too, He lived for a time at Lisbon St,. in my folks Building.. The lovin Spoonful Were a favorite. Did anyone record it in any way.?

• Nate Lincoff // March 30, 2019 at 12:22 am // Reply

Record it?….hahaha…..I don’t think portable tape recorders were invented then!.. lol as far as I know there are some pictures I saw on line and I think there’s some in the class of 69 Maldonian . Looking back it wasn’t a big deal. They were playing at the psychedelic supermarket or the ark in Boston and had an off night. MHS was a MoTown crowd. !

• David Evans Katz // March 30, 2019 at 12:27 pm //

Nate– I think Donald Razinsky took those photographs of the Lovin’ Spoonful.

• Nate Lincoff // March 30, 2019 at 1:06 pm //

I bet he did! I remember Donald’s love of photography. He had a film processing lab in his upstairs attick. He developed film and had an enlarger with all the processing chemicals. He worked part time in Gramstorf’s photos supply on ferry street near the corner of eastern ave.

• Nate Lincoff // March 30, 2019 at 12:29 am // Reply

My Mistake. Class of 1968 Maldonian there’s a full page of pics. You can just google it.

20. Harvey Vigasin // March 30, 2019 at 7:34 am // Reply

The first station to get serius on Motown music Was radio station WILD 1090. The morning host Jimmie Early Bird Was the first to play Aretha Franklin Little Stevie Wonder. The Contours Do You Love Me Was heard at least6 weeks before itr was heard elswhere. He had been at that station since 1952. Speaking of poor sound quality. Upkeep oin the mikes was poor so the sound was usually overmodulated and it sounded like they were using sewing needles foto p;lay the records. They werestill using acetates (MetalBased plastic coated; 12 inch records for the the commerciials. . There were poverty stricken for obvios reasons. Did you ever hear on records any early Frank Zappa and the Mothers?

• Nate Lincoff // March 30, 2019 at 11:57 am // Reply

In 1970 on senior “skip day” a surprise guest came to MHS promoting sickle cell anemia awareness. It was Stevie Wonder. He played a few songs with just a small accompaniment of instruments. In Malden square locals kids would gather on corners to sing out the latest tunes by Otis Redding , Drifters etc. that’s where north shore accapella was formed led by Richard “Dickie” Willis from Upham street at the top of Grape street.
      I remember the battle of the bands dances at the new Harvard Street schul funtion hall. Angelo Ciriello and the Kinsman……a copy of the Louie Louie Kingsman. One night after a dance I saw a person I knew get physically assaulted by a bully associated with the Suffolk sq “ fusco’s”. Marvin Tobin from the Linden st projects took a vicious beating for no apparent reason other than being Jewish I suppose. My first experience at seeing anti-semitism. Tobin was Marc Grodberg’s cousin. We helped getting him home that night. I forget the bully’s name at this time , he was a lot older than us but I swore I’d never let anyone ever get away with doing that. Over the years I dished out plenty of beatings of bully’s picking on Jewish kids. It was a driving force of why I played football and hit opponents as hard as I did. I sidelined many players over my 3 yrs at MHS.
      Have you been to Israel Harvey? I went in 07 and 08 as a senior adviser with the Y2I Lappin foundation. I took 120 co-Ed kids ages 16-17 on educational trips for a month during the summer. We hooked up with another 80 Israeli teens over there and spent time traveling and exploring the whole State . The best experience of my life outside of getting married and having a son.

• Rich Rotman // March 30, 2019 at 12:35 pm //

You guys should call one another and save time.

• Nate Lincoff // March 30, 2019 at 1:02 pm //

We do but don’t you think it’s nice to share these experiences from Suffolk square and Malden with others who might read these and find it amusing or perhaps fascinating? Isn’t this what the comment section is for?